Thank you so very much for nominating me for this award, waytoofantasy. This is my first award nomination, and it made my day!
The Liebster Award Rules
- Acknowledge the blog that gave it to you and display the award
- Answer 11 questions that the blogger gives you
- Give 11 random facts about yourself
- Nominate 11 blogs and notify them of their nomination
- Give these blogs 11 questions to answer
If there was a book that ticked all the boxes of stuff you liked, what would it be about or have in it?
This is a hard one, because I like so many different kinds of books. As long as the story is cohesive and the characters are believable and interesting, chances are I’ll find something to like about the book. That being said, I love dragons, a bit of a dreamlike quality, magic, an original plot line, and I love it when the characters are so well written that it feels like the ending of the book isn’t really the ending, like it’s just continuing off the page.
What’s the last TV show/movie you watched and loved?
Killing Eve. It’s about a female MI6 agent who has the theory that an extraordinarily dangerous killer is actually female, instead of the male everyone is looking for. What ensues is a fascinating game of cat and mouse-but who’s the cat, and who’s the mouse? Since watching it, I’ve learned that it’s based on a book series called Codename Villanelle. I’ve added it to my ridiculously long tbr list.
Have you ever written a book or thought about writing a book?
Many times, especially children’s books. But honestly, I wouldn’t be a very good author. I’d get ahead of myself and my story would end up not making much sense.
What’s your favorite comfort food?
I love cheese and crackers, and tortilla chips and cheese. Hmm…there’s a bit of theme here. Usually after a long day, though, I want an iced coffee based drink that tastes absolutely nothing like actual coffee.
Describe an ideal day.
Whatever I’d be doing would be with my husband and kids for at least half the day, then just with my hubby for half. I’d love to go somewhere new and find cool little bookshops (I think the idea of driving across country and looking for little bookstores that have a book cat would be wonderful), and hidden gem restaurants, but I also would love to go hiking again. I moved from a state that had beautiful mountains to a state the has the ocean. While the ocean is pretty, I’m not a beach girl and I really miss hiking.
What is your most prized book in your collection and why?
Ooh, this is a hard one! I have a copy of Where the Sidewalk Ends that is the first book I remember picking out to buy myself. I bought it at an elementary school book sale, and it has the principal’s initials on the inside to prove that it was paid for. It’s a little trip down memory lane. Or, it could be Goblins by Brian Froud. Years ago, my husband and I went to see a move: he said he needed to run to the restroom, and ran across the entire mall to the bookstore, bought the book for me, hid it under his coat for the entire length of the movie, and surprised me with it afterward. It made the book twice as special.
Vanilla or chocolate?
Neither, really. I prefer mocha or cappuccino flavors.
Do you have pets, if so tell us about them.
I don’t, although I’d love to have a couple of cats.
What is your favorite genre of books to read and why?
I’m partial to fantasy. I love the feeling of leaving the ordinary behind. There’s something special about going on a literary journey like that.
Why did you decide to start blogging?
I love talking about books, to the point where I’ll almost waylay someone to ask what they’re reading or to recommend a favorite. Not to be too self-satisfied; I’m pretty decent at recommending books that I think someone will like based on their personality, and I’m not wrong often. My husband encouraged me to start a book blog so that I could make new bookish friends, get suggestions, and basically just discuss all the amazing things about books.
What is your dream job?
I’m kind of already doing it: I’m a stay at home mom to two wonderful kids. If I ever go back to a job that actually pays me (I keep saying I need a raise), I would like to be a book editor.
11 Random Facts About Me:
1. I have trichophobia, which is phobia of hair, especially loose hair. I hate touching it. Being a hairstylist is my nightmare job. Oddly enough, I love having my hair done. But, guesswhat: Tesla had it too. I figure this just means I‘m a genius (laughs at self).
2. I homeschool my oldest. He had a disastrous foray into pre-k, and homeschooling him works better for his learning needs. I can go at his pace, which is fantastic: he was reading at an eighth grade level in first grade.
3. Despite being a rather quiet introvert, I love hard rock and metal music. There’s nothing quite like singing along to my angry songs after a hard day.
4. I’m a major Browncoat. Firefly is amazing, and so is Serenity. I have even read the comics, despite the fact that my brain struggles to process the small print with the big colorful artwork. Which leads me to my next “about me”, and the reason I struggle to process comics:
5. I have grand mal epilepsy. I was diagnosed with it years ago. Thankfully, at this point it’s mostly under control. I just have to be careful to avoid strobe lights, smoke machines, and to try to get a decent amount of sleep (again, I’m laughing: I have a toddler who still wakes up multiple times a night).
6. I despise green beans. I even have a patented “green bean face.” I’m an adult, so darn it, I don’t have to eat them! Bwahaha!
7. I enjoy playing Dungeons and Dragons. It’s fun, and I love using my imagination. Just because I’m an adult doesn’t mean I can’t still be creative.
8. I love Frostbeard Studios’ literary candles. At the moment, my favorites are Winter Keep, Sherlock’s Study, and Stay Home and Read.
9. I have three siblings. My youngest also blogs: she’s a mommy blogger.
10. I don’t actively watch sports on TV (we don’t get channels, but do quite well with streaming movies and TV shows), but I get way too excited when I do catch a hockey game. It’s a wee bit intimidating if you don’t know me.
11. I collect dragons. Figurines, artwork, plushies, you name it. I love them and have for years.
1.What’s the best book you’ve read so far this year and why?
2. Would you rather meet your favorite book character, or your favorite author?
3. What movie/show do you think is better than the book?
4. What do you like to do, other than read (and talk about books, and hoard books, and sniff books…)?
5. Do you prefer sweet or salty?
6. How do you describe why you like reading to non-readers?
7. Do you have a yet-to-be-realized dream?
8. What’s a book genre that you never read?
9. What’s something about you that might surprise people?
10. Who is the least likable character you’ve ever read?
11. What’s your favorite genre and why?